I write all that is below because I feel I should share a glimpse, and that is all it is, of what I have come home from. I share it with you not to make you jealous, but to create within you a longing for the things of God. We are too content. Thats what was revealed to me this morning at church, I called people to hunger, thirst, longing, to want to chase after Him, to see His words bear fruit. Read what God has said He will do, read what Jesus said about Himself and his kingdom and our authority, read it and then declare it. We are living with the bar set too low, we are far too satisfied and content with where we are and the tiny things we are asking for. How big is your God? I ask again, how big is your God? Sit under His waterfall, ask for Him to fill you so that you might be brimming, that you might be poured out to everyone you come into contact with. Stop being comfortable and satisfied. Divine discontent. I dare you to pray for it ;)

Sunday, May 14, 2006

One Sunday in Pemba - The day I was baptised in the Indian Ocean (Heidi's update)

Sunday was a beautiful day. Church was filled with singing, dancing Makua and Macondie friends along with many visitors from around the world. I preached from Mark 16:15-18, He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.In Mozambique, we see King Jesus protect us from great opposition as he promised in this passage. During church, several people gave their testimonies. One lady had been full of demons and was told by her witch doctor to eat her family! She was severely sick and could not sleep. She would cut her arm and drink her own blood. When she came to church I would hug her and pray she would know the love of Jesus. Then one of our pastors visited her and burned all her witch doctor fetishes, and almost immediately she was freed and filled with the peace of Jesus. This morning her face was beaming with love, and instead of eating her family, they have become her friends!The next lady had an even more amazing story testifying of Gods grace and power to protect us all. She had been very ill with acute asthma for ten years. Her husband was sure she was a prostitute, and was going to divorce her. Recently she came to our church in Pemba as demonized as anyone we have seen. She was healed of asthma and set free instantly by prayer and a hug filled with the love of Jesus. Her husband was amazed by her transformation, although he continued to drink and fly into crazy rages. One day he had a demonic fit and died. After he was pronounced dead at the hospital, his wife began to pray in Jesus name. In a little over an hour he was raised from the dead and came straight to the church to ask Jesus into his heart! At the same time he was set free from the demons who had tormented him for years. This morning he announced with a huge smile that he has not had a drink of alcohol since that day.Right after I preached on this passage, we went across the street and were baptizing new converts and many of our new children. What a joy to see the sunlight on their shining faces! As they were baptized in the turquoise water, they were filled with the presence of the glorious Lamb who was slain. Church lasted until three in the afternoon! What a beautiful Sunday in Pemba. This is what I was created for.
Thank you for loving and praying for us.
Thank you for remembering the poor.

Much love in Jesus, Heidi

2 Comments:

Blogger Duffy said...

Yeah, sounds familiar. Was good times. My first trip to Moz in Mar/Apr '04 wrecked and changed me more than any other single event other than salvation. Since then, foreign missions is the only thing on my heart. The only thing I desire for my future. So, will you be attending Holy Given?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Duffy said...

My mail is joshuajduffy@yahoo.com, and thats my msn handle too if you got msn. feel free to add me.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home